How many cups of coffee a day can you drink without harm to health
Coffee is a drink that most people cannot imagine their morning without. It invigorates, uplifts and gives energy for the whole day. Some people limit themselves to one drink of their favorite drink, while others continue to drink cup after cup throughout the day.
Composition, nutritional value and calorie content
Fats – 0.00 g;
Proteins – 0.30 g;
Carbohydrates – 0.23 g;
Water – 99.47 g;
Calorie content – 2 kcal.
Natural coffee contains caffeine, vitamins E, B1, B2, PP, as well as sodium, potassium, magnesium, iron, and phosphorus.
Benefits of natural coffee for the body
Before talking about the pros and cons of coffee, I would like to note that the effect of this drink on a person depends on many factors. Firstly, from the coffee itself – its variety, method of roasting and preparation. And secondly, from a person – his health characteristics, the state of the nervous system, the presence of chronic diseases.
So, let’s start with the positive: coffee increases the level of dopamine in the blood, which makes us feel more alert and more cheerful. It accelerates the heart rate and increases blood pressure, which in turn improves the well-being of hypotensive patients.
Caffeine stimulates the gallbladder, causes increased bile production and protects the liver from cirrhosis.
Thanks to the antioxidants included in the composition, regular consumption of coffee drinks reduces inflammation in the body. Caffeine reduces insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance, which reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Natural coffee reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease by 65%. This disease is the most common neurodegenerative disease and the main cause of dementia in people over 62 years of age.
Coffee helps to lose weight, because caffeine increases the metabolic rate by 3-11%, and has a diuretic effect.
Harm and contraindications to drinking coffee
When consumed in moderation, coffee will not adversely affect a healthy body. But if you drink more than 3 cups of coffee a day, then this drink can cause side effects:
- Increasing pressure;
Drinking too much coffee can lead to brittle bones and increase the risk of fractures, as caffeine leaches calcium from the body.
Coffee is contraindicated:
- Children under 14;
- Pregnant women;
- People who have problems with the thyroid gland;
- Hypertension patients;
- With insomnia and mental disorders;
- If you have stomach problems;
- People with diseases of the cardiovascular system.
How many servings of coffee can you drink per day
According to studies, an adult is not recommended to drink more than 100-200 mg of caffeine at a time. The maximum daily dose of caffeine is 400 mg. The indicated amount of the component is permissible for a healthy person to use. Given the characteristics of the human body (age category, activity level), indicators may vary.
To determine how much coffee you can drink per day, consider the approximate numbers – the caffeine content in popular drinks:
- Espresso – 80-135 mg;
- Americano – 70-80 mg;
- Cappuccino – 70-80 mg;
- Latte – 50-70 mg;
- Decaf – 3-4 mg;
- Soluble – 70-100 mg.
Rules for drinking coffee
- Don’t drink coffee on an empty stomach. The optimal time is immediately after breakfast or after an hour and a half.
- Give preference to natural bean coffee. It is he who has all the useful properties that we talked about above. Instant coffee contains harmful additives, the use of which leads to unpleasant consequences.
- Do not drink coffee in the evening so that the nervous system is not overexcited before going to bed.
- Do not exceed the daily rate of coffee, then the drink will be beneficial. If you are confident in the state of your health (meaning contraindications), do not drink more than 2 cups of an invigorating drink per day.